Search This Blog

Monday, July 4, 2011

LET'S GET THIS PARTY STARTED!

Despite ominous an ominous sky and occasional sprinkle around two hundred people enjoyed a wide variety of entertainment at last night's July 4th celebration (no, you don't have to check you calenders, the festivities were held on July 3rd).

Music was in the air as a trio played  some historic songs performed in the late 1800's by Lynn's own HUTCHINSON FAMILY SINGERS (I would love to give the performers credit but I didn't  take notes). Also the crowd was treated to performances by DAVE SIMMONS and WAL NUT. Music makes you want to dance so a great break dancing exhibition was put on as well.

All of that entertainment was a warm up for the star of the party, FREDRICK DOUGLASS. Mr. Douglass couldn't actually be there yesterday due to a previous obligation, DEATH. Still his historic July 5, 1852 speech was read to the crowd by a parade of readers each taking a paragraph.

In case anyone has forgotten, it is election time and plenty of politicians were in attendance. First and foremost I would like to point out and thank RICHARD COLLUCCI. Not only was Rich there, but he provide FREE PIZZA and ICE CREAM along with FREE PONY RIDES (I got grief from my wife for not calling her so she could have brought our grandson - my phone's battery died HONEST). The following politician's crashed Rich's party (that's what they all do), HUNG NET, CLAY WALSH, CEF ROSA,PAUL CROWLEY, representing Mayor Kennedy's office - GARDY JEAN FRANCOIS, and LSC member MARIA CARRASCO. (I would like to thank Leslie Greenburg, Highlands Coalition co-chairperson, for making me a list.)

Okay, I lied a little. It wasn't actually Rich's party. MASSHUMANITIES through a grant from the National Endowment For the Arts actually financed the reading but Rich did provide for all I said. Please forgive me, FREE PIZZA taints my memory and I can't even vote for Rich, he's not in my ward.
For more and probably better coverage of this historic historic (no, that is not a typo, I just liked the way it sounded. I'm a poet, remember?) event go on over to lynnhappens. (I am so jealous of Seth's camera.) I don't remember seeing the ITEM there but not only do I have mobility issues, I don't see well.

No comments:

Post a Comment